Questions To Ask a Car Accident Lawyer
A car accident can be fatal. Whether you are at fault or not, the accident could significantly impact your life and the lives of others because of the property damage, serious injuries, and other consequences. Inconveniences like damaged cars, paying medical expenses, and losing time at work can also mount.
You can speak with a lawyer specializing in car accidents if you are unsure what to do next. Below are some recommended questions to ask a car accident lawyer:
Table of Contents
- 1. What Specific Area Of Law Do You Specialize In?
- 2. Will You Be The Lawyer Actually Handling My Car Accident Case?
- 3. How Strongly Do You Consider My Personal Injury Case Arising From A Car Accident?
- 4. How Are You Going To Charge For My Car Accident Case?
- 5. What Costs And Fees Will I Be Liable For?
- 6. Do You Expect My Car Accident Case To Be Resolved Quickly Or Slowly?
- 7. How Could I Boost The Likelihood Of Success For My Car Accident Case?
1. What Specific Area Of Law Do You Specialize In?
Although there may be numerous lawyers capable of handling your car accident personal injury case, different lawyers specialize in various legal fields. You should ensure the lawyer you hire has the expertise in the car accident field necessary to help you win your case.
2. Will You Be The Lawyer Actually Handling My Car Accident Case?
After carefully screening and engaging a car accident lawyer, many individuals are shocked to learn that their case is mostly handled by a junior lawyer or even a paralegal. Although junior lawyers and paralegals might be well-suited to handle your car accident case, you should know up front who will.
3. How Strongly Do You Consider My Personal Injury Case Arising From A Car Accident?
You must be able to prove the other party was negligent and violated their duty of care by failing to behave with a sufficient degree of care, which ultimately led to the car accident, in order to be awarded damages in your case. Reaching a settlement with the car insurance company can be preferable if your case is weak. Obtain an early assessment of the strengths of your case from your lawyer.
4. How Are You Going To Charge For My Car Accident Case?
A lot of car accident lawyers take cases on a contingency basis, which means they get paid only if you win. You might be better off with an arrangement of a contingency fee if you cannot pay the hourly rates demanded by a lawyer. Contingency fee lawyers typically receive a percentage of your settlement (usually between 20 and 40 %).
5. What Costs And Fees Will I Be Liable For?
Even though you decide to employ a lawyer who will take your car accident case on a contingency basis, you can still be liable for any costs or court fees incurred by your lawyer while he or she conducts the necessary research and litigation preparation. Ensure you are aware of all potential expenses upfront.
6. Do You Expect My Car Accident Case To Be Resolved Quickly Or Slowly?
You might be startled to find your medical expenses rising if you sustained major injuries due to your car accident. Your financial situation might worsen if you cannot work again after your car accident. It is crucial to find out how long your lawyer thinks it will take to settle your case completely. Indeed, there are a lot of things that might determine how long your car accident case will take. Still, the majority of lawyers can offer you a reasonable estimate.
7. How Could I Boost The Likelihood Of Success For My Car Accident Case?
Too many individuals mistakenly think that after hiring a lawyer, their only responsibility is to wait for the payment to arrive. Instead, your car accident lawyer will need you to take the initiative in your car accident case and might ask you to consult with more experts, talk to investigators, and overall stay fully engaged in your case until it is resolved.
It is imperative to prepare a list of questions for your prospective lawyer. You will be working together; therefore, you would not want a misunderstanding to create a break-up in the middle of a case. Working with a lawyer who has handled cases that are similar to yours will help you through the process and increase your chances of success.