File a Lawsuit
LexInter | August 2, 2022 | 0 Comments

Should I File a Lawsuit If I Got Cancer Due to Contaminated Water at Camp Lejeune?

Many people were exposed to contaminated drinking water at Camp Lejeune Marine Corps base for over 30 years, starting from the 1950s to the 1980s. During this time, military personnel, their families, civilians, and visitors were exposed to toxic water at Camp Lejeune, which contained dangerous carcinogenic compounds.

The contamination occurred at multiple water treatment facilities on the base. Unfortunately, the dangerous carcinogenic chemicals in the water were not formally tested and discovered until 1985. Therefore, the military staff, their families, their neighbors, and the contractors unknowingly consumed and used the poisonous water for approximately 30 years.

The Effects Of Using The Contaminated Liquid

Using The Contaminated Liquid

The dangerous chemicals that were discovered in the water are Benzene, Trichloroethylene, Vinyl Chloride, and Perchloroethylene. According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), there is evidence linking some of the contaminants in the water at the base to different types of cancer. Therefore, these volatile organic compounds (VOC) are linked to cancer as well as other severe illnesses.

In addition to that, the Department of Defense and other branches of the federal government conducted extensive research on the contaminated liquid at the base to determine its long-term health effects on the victims. The studies indicated that the victims who were exposed to the toxic liquid have a higher risk of developing kidney, breast, bladder, oral, liver, tongue, and tonsil cancers.

Furthermore, other health conditions have been linked to the water contaminants such as scleroderma, female infertility or miscarriage, lung cancer, and oesophageal cancer among others.

Should You File A Lawsuit If You Got Cancer?


According to the Camp Lejeune Justice Act 2022 (CLJA), individuals and veterans who worked, lived, or were exposed to the contaminants (Including in utero exposure), for a period of 30 days or more from August 1st, 1953, to December 31st, 1987, will be able to file a lawsuit against the US government. So, you can seek monetary compensation once the senate passes the new law.

However, you must prove you were present at the military base between 1953 and 1987. Furthermore, you must show you were harmed by using the water. For instance, you must show that your disease or condition was either caused by or linked to the water or that the contaminated liquid increased the risk of developing the condition you have.


The good news is that the CLJA allows you to use one credible study to prove exposure to contaminated water is one of the causes of your illness or condition.


If you want to file a lawsuit against the US government after being harmed by the poisonous liquid, you should contact an attorney who will evaluate your case and help you prove that your cancer was caused by the water at the base. The professional will do this by determining whether your type of cancer is linked to the contaminants at the base, the amount of time you spent at the base, and by evaluating your medical records among other relevant information that will strengthen your case.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Reload Image