GENERAL AND FINAL PROVISIONS
Repeal of previous treaties
1. This Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe repeals the Treaty establishing the European Community and the Treaty on European Union, as well as, under the conditions provided for by the Protocol relating to acts and treaties supplementing or amending the Treaty establishing the European Community and the Treaty on European Union, acts and treaties supplementing or amending them, subject to paragraph 2 of this article.
2. The treaties relating to the accession of:
a) the Kingdom of Denmark, Ireland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland;
b) of the Hellenic Republic;
c) the Kingdom of Spain and the Portuguese Republic;
d) the Republic of Austria,
e) the Czech Republic, the Republic of Estonia, the Republic of Cyprus, the Republic of Latvia, the Republic of Lithuania, the Republic of Hungary, the Republic of Malta, the Republic of Poland, of the Republic of Slovenia and the Slovak Republic are repealed.
– the provisions of the treaties referred to in points a) to d) which are incorporated or referred to in the Protocol relating to the Treaties and Acts of Accession of the Kingdom of Denmark, Ireland and the United Kingdom
of Great Britain and of Northern Ireland, the Hellenic Republic, the Kingdom of Spain and the Portuguese Republic, and the Republic of Austria, the Republic of Finland and the
Kingdom of Sweden remain in force and their legal effects are preserved in accordance with this Protocol,
– the provisions of the Treaty referred to in point e) which are incorporated or referred to in the Protocol relating to the Treaty and Act of Accession of the Czech Republic, the Republic of Estonia, Republic of
Cyprus, Republic of Latvia, Republic of Lithuania, Republic of Hungary, Republic of Malta, Republic of Poland, Republic of Slovenia and
Republic Slovak Republic remain in force and their legal effects are preserved in accordance with this protocol.
Succession and legal continuity
1. The European Union established by this Treaty shall succeed the European Union established by the Treaty on European Union and the European Community.
2. Subject to Article IV-439, the institutions, bodies, offices and agencies existing on the date of entry into force of this Treaty shall, in their composition on that date, exercise their powers within the meaning of
this Treaty, for as long as new provisions will not have been adopted in application of it or until the end of their mandate.
3. The acts of the institutions, bodies, offices and agencies adopted on the basis of the treaties and acts repealed by Article IV-437 shall remain in force. Their legal effects are preserved as long as
these acts shall not have been repealed, annulled or modified in application of this Treaty. The same applies to conventions concluded between Member States on the basis of treaties and acts repealed by
The other elements of the acquis communautaire and the Union existing at the time of entry into force of this Treaty, in particular interinstitutional agreements, decisions and agreements
agreed by the representatives of the governments of the Member States, meeting within the Council , the agreements concluded by the Member States relating to the functioning of the Union or of the Community
or presenting a link with the action of these, the declarations, including those made within the framework of intergovernmental conferences, as well as the resolutions or other positions of the
European Council or of the Council and those relating to the Union or to the Community which have been adopted by common accord of the Member States, are also preserved as long as they have not
been deleted or amended.
4. The case law of the Court of Justice of the European Communities and of the Court of First Instance relating to the interpretation and application of treaties and acts repealed by Article IV-437,
as well as the acts and conventions adopted for their application, remains, mutatis mutandis, the source of the interpretation of Union law, and in particular of comparable provisions of the Constitution.
5. The continuity of administrative and judicial procedures initiated before the date of entry into force of this Treaty shall be ensured in accordance with the Constitution. The institutions, bodies and
agencies responsible for these procedures take all appropriate measures for this purpose.
Transitional provisions relating to certain institutions
The transitional arrangements relating to the composition of the European Parliament, the definition of the qualified majority in the European Council and the Council, including in cases where all the members of
the European Council or of the Council do not take part in the vote, and in the composition of the Commission, including the Union Minister for Foreign Affairs, are provided for in the Protocol on
transitional arrangements relating to the institutions and bodies of the Union.
1. This Treaty shall apply to the Kingdom of Belgium, the Czech Republic, the Kingdom of Denmark, the Federal Republic of Germany, the Republic of Estonia, the
Hellenic Republic , the Kingdom of Spain, the French Republic, Ireland, the Italian Republic, the Republic of Cyprus, the Republic of Latvia, the Republic of Lithuania, the Grand Duchy of
Luxembourg, the Republic of Hungary, the Republic of Malta , the Kingdom of the Netherlands, the Republic of Austria, the Republic of Poland, the Portuguese Republic, the Republic of
Slovenia and the Slovak Republic, the Republic of Finland, the Kingdom of Sweden and the Kingdom United of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
2. This Treaty shall apply to Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, Réunion, the Azores, Madeira and the Canary Islands in accordance with article III-424.
3. The overseas countries and territories listed in Annex II are subject to the special association regime defined in Part III, Title IV.
This Treaty does not apply to overseas countries and territories having special relations with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland which are not listed
in this list.
4. This Treaty shall apply to European territories for which a Member State is responsible for external relations.
5. This Treaty shall apply to the Åland Islands with the derogations which originally appeared in the Treaty referred to in Article IV-437 (2) (d) and which have been incorporated in Title V, Section 5. , of the
Protocol relating to the Treaties and Acts of Accession of the Kingdom of Denmark, Ireland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Hellenic Republic, the Kingdom
of Spain and the Republic Portuguese, and the Republic of Austria, the Republic of Finland and the Kingdom of Sweden.
6. By way of derogation from paragraphs 1 to 5: (
a) this Treaty does not apply to the Faroe Islands;
(b) this Treaty shall apply to Akrotiri and Dhekelia, zones of sovereignty of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland over Cyprus, only to the extent necessary to ensure
the application of the regime provided for in the originated in the Protocol on the Zones of Sovereignty of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Cyprus annexed to the Act of Accession which
forms an integral part of the Treaty referred to in Article IV-437, paragraph 2 , point (e), and which was taken over in Part II, Title III, of the Protocol to the Treaty and Act of Accession of the Czech Republic, the
Republic of Estonia, the Republic of Cyprus, the Republic of Latvia, Republic of Lithuania, Republic of Hungary, Republic of Malta,of the Republic of Poland,
the Republic of Slovenia and the Slovak Republic;
(c) this Treaty shall apply to the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man only to the extent necessary to ensure the application of the treatment originally provided for those islands by the Treaty referred to in
Article IV -437, paragraph 2, point (a), and which has been incorporated in Title II, Section 3, of the Protocol on the Treaties and Acts of Accession of the Kingdom of Denmark, Ireland and the United Kingdom of
Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Hellenic Republic, the Kingdom of Spain and the Portuguese Republic, and the Republic of Austria, the Republic of Finland and the
Kingdom of Sweden.
7. The European Council, on the initiative of the Member State concerned, may adopt a European decision amending the status with regard to the Union of a Danish, French or
Dutch country or territory referred to in paragraphs 2 and 3. The European Council acts unanimously, after consulting the Commission.
This Treaty does not preclude the existence and completion of regional unions between Belgium and Luxembourg, as well as between Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, to the extent
where the objectives of these regional unions are not achieved under the said treaty.
Protocols and annexes
The Protocols and Annexes to this Treaty form an integral part thereof.
Ordinary review procedure
1. The government of any Member State, the European Parliament or the Commission may submit to the Council proposals for the revision of this Treaty. These drafts are transmitted by the Council
to the European Council and notified to the national parliaments.
2. If the European Council, after consulting the European Parliament and the Commission, adopts by a simple majority a decision favorable to the examination of the proposed modifications, the President of
the European Council shall convene a Convention composed of representatives of the national parliaments, of the heads state or government of the Member States, the European Parliament and the Commission.
The European Central Bank is also consulted in the event of institutional changes in the monetary field. The Convention examines the draft revisions and adopts by consensus
a recommendation to a Conference of Representatives of the Governments of the Member States as provided for in paragraph 3.
The European Council may decide by simple majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament, not to convene of Convention when the scale of the modifications does not justify it. In the
latter case, the European Council establishes the mandate for a Conference of Representatives of the Governments of the Member States.
3. A Conference of the Representatives of the Governments of the Member States shall be convened by the President of the Council with a view to adopting by common accord the amendments to be made to this
Amendments enter into force after being ratified by all member states in accordance with their respective constitutional requirements.
4. If at the end of a period of two years from the signing of the Treaty amending this Treaty, four-fifths of the Member States have ratified the said Treaty and one or more Member States
have encountered difficulties in proceeding upon said ratification, the European Council takes up the matter.
Simplified revision procedure
1. Where Part III provides for the Council to act unanimously in a given area or in a given case, the European Council may adopt a European decision authorizing the Council to act
by qualified majority in that area or in that case.
This paragraph does not apply to decisions having military or defense implications.
2. Where Part III provides that European laws or framework laws are adopted by the Council in accordance with a special legislative procedure, the European Council may adopt a
European decision authorizing the adoption of such laws or framework laws in accordance with the legislative procedure. ordinary.
3. Any initiative taken by the European Council on the basis of paragraphs 1 or 2 shall be forwarded to the national Parliaments. In the event of opposition from a national parliament notified within six
months of this transmission, the European decision referred to in paragraphs 1 or 2 shall not be adopted.
In the absence of opposition, the European Council may adopt the said decision.
For the adoption of the European decisions referred to in paragraphs 1 and 2, the European Council shall act unanimously, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament, which shall act by a majority of its component members
Simplified revision procedure concerning the internal policies and actions of the Union
1. The government of any Member State, the European Parliament or the Commission may submit to the European Council proposals for the revision of all or part of the provisions of Part III,
Title III, relating to the internal policies and actions of the Union. .
2. The European Council may adopt a European decision amending all or part of the provisions of Part III, Title III. The European Council acts unanimously, after consulting
the European Parliament and the Commission and the European Central Bank in the event of institutional changes in the monetary field.
This European decision comes into force only after its approval by the Member States, in accordance with their respective constitutional rules.
3. The European decision referred to in paragraph 2 may not increase the powers conferred on the Union in this Treaty.
This Treaty is concluded for an unlimited period.
Ratification and entry into force
1. This Treaty is ratified by the High Contracting Parties in accordance with their respective constitutional requirements. The instruments of ratification are deposited with the Government
of the Italian Republic.
2. This Treaty shall enter into force on November 1, 2006, provided that all the instruments of ratification have been deposited, or, failing this, on the first day of the second month following the deposit of
the instrument of ratification by the signatory State. who is the last to carry out this formality.
Authentic texts and translations
1. This Treaty, drawn up in a single copy, in the German, English, Danish, Spanish, Estonian, French, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian,
Lithuanian, Maltese, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Slovak and Slovenian languages , Swedish and Czech, the texts drawn up in each of these languages being equally authentic, will be deposited in the archives of the
Government of the Italian Republic, which will deliver a certified copy to each of the governments of the other signatory States.
2. This Treaty may also be translated into any other language determined by the Member States from among those which, by virtue of the constitutional order of those Member States, enjoy the status of
official language in all or part of their territory. The Member State concerned shall provide a certified copy of these translations, which will be placed in the archives of the Council.
EN FE DE LO CUAL los plenipotentiary infrascritos suscriben el present Tratado
Na DŮKAZ ČEHOŽ připojili Nize podepsaní zplnomocnění zástupci k této smlouvě své podpisy
TIL BEKRÆFTELSE Heraf har Undertegnede befuldmægtigede underskrevet denne traktat
ZU URKUND DESSEN haben die unterzeichneten Bevollmächtigten ihre Unterschriften unter diesen
SADDLE KINNITUSEKS on nimetatud täievolilised esindajad käesolevale lepingule alla kirjutanud
ΕΙΣ ΠΙΣΤΩΣΗ ΤΩΝ ΑΝΩΤΕΡΩ, οι υπογεγραμμένοι πληρεξούσιοι υπέγραψαν υτύνα παραηην
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned plenipotentiaries have signed this Treaty
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned plenipotentiaries have affixed their signatures below this Treaty
DÁ FHIANÚ SIN, chuir na Lánchumhachtaigh thíos-sínithe a lámh leis an gConradh seo
IN i FEDE plenipotenziari sottoscritti hanno apposto the loro firma in calce al present
tO APLIECINOT, attiecīgi pilnvarotas personas ir parakstījušas šo Līgumu
TAI PALIUDYDAMI šią sutarti pasirašė toliau nurodyti įgaliotieji atstovai
FENTIEK HITELÉÜL az alulírott meghatalmazottak aláírták ezt has szerződést
B’XIEHDA TA ‘DAN, il-plenipotenzjarji sottoskritti ffirmaw dan it-Trattat
TEN BLIJKE WAARVAN of ondergetekende gevolmachtigden hun handtekening onder said verdrag
W DOWÓD czego niżej podpisani pełnomocnicy złożyli swoje podpisy pod niniejszym Traktatem
EM EF DO THAT bones plenipotentiary abaixo assinados apuseram as suas assinaturas no final do
NA dokaz TOHO dolupodpísaní splnomocnení zástupcovia podpísali túto zmluvu
V POTRDITEV TEGA so spodaj podpisani pooblaščenci podpisali to pogodbo
Taman VAKUUDEKSI went mainitut täysivaltaiset edustajat ovat allekirjoittaneet Tämän Sopimuksen
TILL BEVIS Harpa har undertecknade befullmäktigade undertecknat detta fördrag
Hecho en Roma, el veintinueve de octubre del dos mil cuatro.
V Římě dne dvacátého devátého října dva tisíce čtyři
Udfærdiget i Rom den niogtyvende oktober to tusind og fire.
Geschehen zu Rom am neunundzwanzigsten Oktober zweitausendundvier.
Kahe tuhande neljanda aasta oktoobrikuu kahekümne üheksandal päeval Roomas
Έγινε στις Ρώμη, στις είκοσι εννέα Οκτωβρίου δύο χιλιάδες αέσεσε στις Ρώμη, στις είκοσι εννέα Οκτωβρίου δύο χιλιάδες αέσεσε στις Ρώμη, στις είκοσι εννέα Οκτωβρίου δύο χιλιάδες αέσεσε
Done at Rome on the twenty ‑ ninth day of October in the year two thousand and four.
Done at Rome on the twenty-ninth day of October in the year two thousand and four.
Arna dhéanamh sa Róimh, an naoú lá Fichead de Dheireadh Fómhair sa bhliain dhá mhíle is a
Fatto a Roma, addì ventinove ottobre duemilaquattro.
Romā, divi tūkstoši ceturtā gada divdesmit devītajā oktobrī
Priimta du tūkstančiai ketvirtų metų spalio dvidešimt became dieną Romoje
Kelt Rómában, a kétezer-negyedik év október havának huszonkilencedik napján
C 310/192 EN Official Journal of the European Union 16.12.2004
Magħmox-disa ‘u’Ruma Ottubru tas-sena elfejn u erbgħa
Gedaan te Rome, from negenentwintigste oktober tweeduizendvier.
Sporządzono w Rzymie dnia dwudziestego dziewiątego października roku dwutysięcznego
Feito em Roma, em vinte e Nove de Outubro de dois mil e quatro
V Rime dvadsiatehodeviateho októbra dvetisícštyri
V Rimu, devetindvajsetega oktobra leta dva tisoč štiri
Tehty Roomassa kahdentenakymmenentenäyhdeksäntenä päivänä lokakuuta vuonna
Som skedde i Rom den tjugonionde oktober tjugohundrafyra.
16.12.2004 EN Official Journal of the European Union C 310/193
For His Majesty the King of the Belgians
Voor Zijne Majesteit de Koning der Belgen
Für Seine Majestät den König der Belgier
This signature also commits the French Community, the Flemish Community, the Community German-speaking, the Walloon Region, the Flemish Region and the Brussels-Capital Region.
Deze handtekening verbindt eveneens de Vlaamse Gemeenschap, de Franse Gemeenschap, de Duitstalige Gemeenschap,
het Vlaamse Gewest, het Waalse Gewest en het Brussels Hoofdstedelijk Gewest.
Diese Unterschrift bindet zugleich die Deutschsprachige Gemeinschaft, die Flämische Gemeinschaft, die Französische
Gemeinschaft, die Wallonische Region, die Flämische Region und die Region Brüssel-Hauptstadt.
Za prezidenta České republiky
C 310/194 EN Official Journal of the European Union 16.12.2004
For Hendes Majestæt Danmarks Dronning
Für den Präsidenten der Bundesrepublik Deutschland
Eesti Vabariigi Presidendi nimel
16.12.2004 EN Official Journal of the European Union C 310/195
Για τον Πρόεδρο της Ελληνικής Δημοκρατίας
Por Su Majestad el Rey de España
For the President of the French Republic
C 310/196 EN Official Journal of the European Union 16.12.2004
Thar ceann Uachtarán na hÉireann
For the President of Ireland
Per il Presidente della Repubblica italiana
Για τον Πρόεδρο της Κυπριακής Δημοκρατίας
16.12.2004 EN Official Journal of the European Union C 310/197
Latvĳas Republikas Valsts prezidentes vārdā
Lietuvos Respublikos vardu Prezidento
For His Royal Highness the Grand Duke of Luxembourg
C 310/198 EN Official Journal of the European Union 16.12.2004
A Magyar Köztársaság Elnöke Részéről
Għall-President ta ‘Malta
Voor Hare Majesteit de Koningin der Nederlanden
16.12.2004 EN Official Journal of the European Union C 310/199
Für den Bundespräsidenten der Republik Österreich
Za Prezydenta Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej
Pelo Presidente da República Portuguesa
C 310/200 EN Official Journal of the European Union 16.12.2004
Za predsednika Republike Slovenĳe
Za prezidenta Slovenskej republiky
Suomen Tasavallan Presidentin puolesta
För Republiken Finlands
Official Journal President of the Union 16.12.2004 European C 310/201
För Konungariket Sveriges regering
For Her Majesty the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
C 310/202 EN Official Journal of the European Union 16.12.2004